New Obsidian "Piketty" Book Club
10-week club beginning May 15th with first Zoom Meeting on 5-21
We’ve just wound up the so-called Synoptic Obsidian Book Club, where we tried to read two books and compare them to each other. That didn't work particularly well, I think. Partly due to the books not being that congruent, as it turned out. Also due to them not being of equal interest to all the members. Some preferred one of the texts, others the other; some really weren't that enthused with either. And it was a busy time for many of us: the end of a tough semester for me and I don't think I gave it the attention I might have. But then, I was one of those for whom the books we chose did not turn out to be all that compelling.
In any case, several club members met to catch up on our note-making processes, in light of this most recent Book Club outing. We also decided that after we take a week off, we'll be reconvening on Zoom, Saturday, May 21st to begin discussing the brand new book by Thomas Piketty, called A Brief History of Equality. Although this is a short-ish book, we all agreed we want to take it slow. So I think we'll do a chapter a week, possibly supplemented by a little more discussion of our note-making processes along the way if there's time.
This means we'll follow a schedule that looks something like this:
- Week 1 (May 15-21): Introduction and Chapter 1 (Meeting 5-21, 10 AM UTC -5)
-Week 2 (May 22-28): Chapter 2 (Meeting 5-28)
- Week 3 (May 29-June 4): Chapter 3 (Meeting 6-4)
- Week 4 (June 5-11): Chapter 4 (Meeting 6-11)
- Week 5 (June 12-18): Chapter 5 (Meeting 6-18)
- Week 6 (June 19-25): Chapter 6 (Meeting 6-25)
- Week 7 (June 26-July 2): Chapter 7 (Meeting 7-2)
- Week 8 (July 3-9): Chapter 8 (Meeting 7-9)
- Week 9 (July 10-16): Chapter 9 (Meeting 7-16)
- Week 10 (July 17-23): Chapter 10 (Meeting 7-23)
- Possible Wrap-up meeting July 30
Everybody who has been in the book clubs in the past is cordially invited. As are any people interested in the topic who may not have participated yet. For those who may be new, I do generally ask people to contribute, if they're able, to defraying the expense of my Zoom plan, Dropbox, and Obsidian Publish, by joining the membership level appropriate to your interest on my "Buy Me A Coffee" page (https://www.buymeacoffee.com/MakingHistory). Again, this is suggested, not required. But your support is appreciated!
If you are interested and have not been in a book club with me before, email me at email@example.com with your:
2. Email address
3. Location and timezone
4. Permission to release what you write in the shared Obsidian vault to the group (it's a shared format, after all) and agreement to participate in an online, public discussion.
I'll give you access to the Obsidian vault we share in a private Dropbox folder, and the Zoom url and meeting times.